On behalf of Bishop Satterlee and our synod’s WELCA President June Keysor, you are invited to help build a Synod Quilt that will be displayed at synod functions beginning with the 2015 Synod Assembly!
The quilt will feature one block representing each congregation in our synod to remind us that We Are Church, the theme of this year’s assembly.
Each congregation is asked to submit one 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ inch quilt block with the congregations’s name and location and a representative symbol. These will be gathered and put together prior to the Assembly, where it will be displayed.
The deadline for submitting blocks is March 31st, 2015
There are several options if you have no quilting experience, including painting and photo transfer. If you need assistance creating a block, contact the Synod Office (517-321-5066) or email Carrie Wygmans (email@example.com)
- Send your block to the Synod Office by March 31st (2900 N. Waverly Rd. Lansing, MI 48906)
- Use 100% cotton–choose your own color
- Block size is 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ total (includes seam allowance)
- Leave 1/4″ undecorated on each edge for seam allowance
- Do whatever you’d like as long as it will hold up long-term: cross-stitch, embroider, paint, photo transfer, etc
- If using a pen, use a “pigma pen” which doesn’t bleed (available at Meijer and other large stores)
- Include a symbol that you think represents your congregation. Ideas include religious words or symbols (dove, chalice, bread, cross, etc), nature (trees, stream, lake, fruit, etc), or distinctive building features (church building, tower, etc) Be creative!
- Include your congregation name (no need to include “Lutheran Church”) and location (city or area)